Being the person behind the lens of Made by Ten has been an adventure. My past has shaped me into a GTA portrait photographer with the empathy and understanding to help women realize how amazing they naturally are. If you want to learn a little about my past please keep on reading.
Be sure to read about who I am and the purpose of Made by Ten in our “About” page first!
This is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to write, but I’ll do my best. You can read everything if you really want to get to know me or skip to the point form at the bottom to get the gist.
I grew up with just a mom and dad until I was 5. You could easily call me a mama’s boy, but I don’t know if I’d get that extreme. It certainly made me much more empathetic. Yes…I do get teary eyed during tender moments in movies. Sibling love really pulls at my heart strings because at the age of 5 I was blessed with a sister who I like to think I helped raise too.
Growing up, I was often bullied in school – whether due to my background, height (I was short), habits, or intelligence. This meant I attached myself more to girls than boys and because of this I learned to listen. It seems weird, but going through that hardship gave me the respect and empathy I have for women (and men) today. I found it very sad to learn that women aren’t able to see how beautiful they are regardless of what they actually look like. This journey has been difficult, but hopefully I can change this world one woman at a time.
SHORT AND SWEET
As promised, here are a few things about me in point form:
- My name is Jonathan How and I use the name Made by Ten which stands for “hand-crafted” experiences and artwork (think: 10 fingers of your hands!)
- I live in Milton, Ontario and mainly work within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
- Graduated with a degree in engineering and business and worked in engineering for 5 years before founding this photography business
- I’m passionate about changing lives and making art through photography as a medium
- I have a beautiful, gorgeous wife
- I live life without regret; half the battle is doing the right thing to begin with and being honest
- I love nature and going hiking, but I attract mosquitoes (and other insects) like crazy and that means I’m running indoors after a short while
- The truth is that I knew I had to do something different from other photographers in the GTA so I have focused on creating beautiful, photographic art for women who need it most in their lives
- Most of all I love to help and connect with women in need
Sometimes I wish I had a plethora of clients rushing to my door to the point that I wouldn’t know what to do with them all, but at the end of the day I truly value the connections I create with the incredible women that appreciate what I’m trying to do for them. Also, sometimes I ramble.
“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
P.S. My parents came to this country so that their children (I have a sister) would have a better life filled with opportunity. I believe that doing something I love is the best way to honour all the sacrifices they’ve made for me my entire life. My parents are fantastic, honest, thoughtful, and caring people and I want to make them proud by being the best person I can be too. Integrity is the most important characteristic to me in both myself and what I hope to find in others.